Re: [splices] SIP INVOKE method v1

"Hutton, Andrew" <andrew.hutton@siemens-enterprise.com> Mon, 13 June 2011 14:04 UTC

From: "Hutton, Andrew" <andrew.hutton@siemens-enterprise.com>
To: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>, "splices@ietf.org" <splices@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 16:04:03 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [splices] SIP INVOKE method v1

Hi All,

Whilst I still question whether the mechanism described in this draft actually falls within the SPLICES WG charter as it defines new mechanism I have a few comments.

I tend to agree with Paul's comments below but would go further to say that even some of the supposedly simply actions such as "decline" & "ignore" are also features which will be difficult to agree the semantics for. All of the actions will need to be specified rigorously a quick look at ECMA-269 which specifies these kind of services for CSTA will give you an idea of what would need to be done. I don't believe that even in the CSTA world which defines a very large number of services the services "ignore" or "decline" were specified.

With regard to the discussion on headers vs body the draft states.

"There has been some discussion on the list on the question of header field vs message body.  This is not the real issue, as either could conceivably be used.  Instead, the main issue is what is being invoked:  is it a named feature/action/event, or is it a script".

I must have missed the discussion about scripting but I don't think this is the issue. The issue is I believe extensibility which any mechanism for invoking services will need and this is the reason why an XML body would be better than using SIP headers.

Regards
Andy