Re: [splices] SIP INVOKE method

"Shekh-Yusef, Rifaat (Rifaat)" <rifatyu@avaya.com> Tue, 17 May 2011 18:21 UTC

From: "Shekh-Yusef, Rifaat (Rifaat)" <rifatyu@avaya.com>
To: Peter Musgrave <musgravepj@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 14:20:45 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "splices@ietf.org" <splices@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [splices] SIP INVOKE method

Inline...

I am not sure that the fact that INVOKE is close to INVITE is an enough justification to change the name.
Anybody else has an opinion on this?

> Do you foresee having actions which accept parameters? For example there is a
> special case of an action 'sendvm' that could be generalized to something like
> 'redirect vm'. I could also see a case where terminate might wish to specify
> the error code to be used to reject the call.

Yes, and I have the following open question about these parameters:
Should a separate header be defined for action parameters?

> Will the gory details of what a UA must do for each action be something which
> is added to the document?

Yes, these details will come.
I just wanted to get something out there to start a discussion on the idea of a new SIP method for invoking actions.