[spring] A SRv6 Data Plane TE/QoS Mechanism

"Liubing (Leo)" <leo.liubing@huawei.com> Wed, 10 July 2019 09:52 UTC

From: "Liubing (Leo)" <leo.liubing@huawei.com>
To: "spring@ietf.org" <spring@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 09:49:11 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.191.175]
Subject: [spring] A SRv6 Data Plane TE/QoS Mechanism

Hi Dear all,

I've uploaded a new draft (as below), which introduces a mechanism to allow the devices to switch flows among multiple paths between a pairs of Ingress/Egress routers. The flow switch is based on real-time measurement of congestion situation of the paths.

Such mechanism could be used to do load balancing, SLA assurance and reliability etc. For load balancing use case, we've had a commercial router hardware based prototype in our lab.

Although it is not a Spring specific document, the major targeted scenario is SRv6 (our prototype is also based on SRv6), so opinions from you people here in Spring would be very valuable. And if such mechanism is benefit to SR scenarios, we'd be glad to initiate some work in our WG.

Your comments would be appreciated very much!

Best regards,
Bing

*************************************Draft Info*************************************

Name:                  draft-liu-ican

Revision:              00

Title:                     Instant Congestion Assessment Network (iCAN) for Data Plane Traffic Engineering

Document date: 2019-07-08

Group:                  Individual Submission

Pages:                  8

Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-liu-ican-00

Htmlized:       https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-liu-ican

Abstract:

   iCAN (instant Congestion Assessment Network) is a set of mechanisms

   running directly on network nodes:

   o  To adjust the flows paths based on real-time measurement of the

      candidate paths.

   o  The measurement is to reflect the congestion situation of each

      path, so that the ingress nodes could decide which flows need to

      be switched from a path to another.

   This is something that current SDN and TE technologies can hardly

   achieve:

   o  SDN Controller is slow and far from the data plane, it is neither

      able to assess the real-time congestion situation of each path,

      nor able to assure the data plane always go as expected

      (especially in SRv6 scenarios).  However, iCAN can work with SDN

      perfectly: controller planning multi-path transmission, and iCAN

      does the flow optimization automatically.

   o  Traditional TE is not able to adjust the flow paths in real-time.