[spring] Erik Kline's No Objection on draft-ietf-spring-nsh-sr-12: (with COMMENT)

Erik Kline via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 26 April 2023 20:15 UTC

From: Erik Kline via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-spring-nsh-sr@ietf.org, spring-chairs@ietf.org, spring@ietf.org, bruno.decraene@orange.com, bruno.decraene@orange.com
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 13:15:58 -0700
Subject: [spring] Erik Kline's No Objection on draft-ietf-spring-nsh-sr-12: (with COMMENT)

Erik Kline has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-spring-nsh-sr-12: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-spring-nsh-sr/

COMMENT:

# Internet AD comments for draft-ietf-spring-nsh-sr-12
CC @ekline

## Comments

### S5.1, S5.2

* I am not very familiar with the SFC paradigm, so please do correct me or
  ignore me.

  Does this "service-index - 1" cache end up imposing too tight a restriction
  on the SF handling of the NSH, limiting processing to only a single
  function (decrementing the service index by only 1)?

  I naively expected that the SR segment list could move a packet through
  a network of endpoints, but that each endpoint could perhaps trigger
  multiple functions acting on the packet without incurring extra,
  duplicative segments to indicate additional processing on the same node.

### S11.1

* Should the document reference actually RFC 8300 (NSH)?  "This document"
  defines where the IANA allocation comes from but that doesn't really help
  a possible implementer get directly to the required spec.