Re: [spring] Understanding the replication draft

Joel Halpern Direct <jmh.direct@joelhalpern.com> Wed, 01 July 2020 16:24 UTC

To: Rishabh Parekh <rishabhp@gmail.com>
Cc: "spring@ietf.org" <spring@ietf.org>
From: Joel Halpern Direct <jmh.direct@joelhalpern.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2020 12:23:57 -0400
Subject: Re: [spring] Understanding the replication draft

I am not sure I understand the answer.  I do see that the local
processing is described in the draft.  But that is not what I am asking.

I am going to try to simplify the conventions to ask the question.  I
will list SIDs in the order they will be visited.  And mark G-SID-X for
a global SID, and R-SID-X for a replication SID.

Suppose the stack looks like

G-SID-1
R-SID-1
G-SID-2
G-SID-3
R-SID-2
G-SID-4

So the packet gets delivered to the node identified by G-SID-1.  Great.
That node sees an R-SID which it understands.  So presumably it
replicates the packet, and sends the packet (possibly with some
prepended labels, presumably different prepended labels for different
destination, controlled by policy.  No problem with that part.)

Now each of the packets geet to the end of the prepended labels, and
each copy sees G-SID-2.  At which point all of these various nodes that
have received copies of the packet all send it to the node identified by
G-SID-2.  Huh?  We just bombarded a node with useless and potentially
harmful copies of the packet.  then all those copies go to G-SID-3,
which then processes R-SID-2, and replicates each and every copy to some
set of destinations.  Which then eventually bombard the node identified
by G-SID-4.

If the document said that the replication SID when it appears in the
stack must be the last SID in the stack, and was either terminal for SID
processing or was a binding SID, the above problem would be avoided.
But the draft does not say that.  Nor does your reply.

Is there some other way this explosion is avoided?  This seems to need
to be described in the SPRING draft in order for any of us to understand
if the approach is what we want as a starting point.  just the idea of
replication segments is not, in my personal view, enough clarity or
value to be adopted as a working group document.

Yours,
Joel