Re: [spring] Conclusion from WG poll on dataplane solution for compressing segment routing over IPv6

Weiqiang Cheng <chengweiqiang@chinamobile.com> Wed, 08 September 2021 03:25 UTC

From: Weiqiang Cheng <chengweiqiang@chinamobile.com>
To: "'Joel M. Halpern'" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>, spring@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2021 11:25:10 +0800
Subject: Re: [spring] Conclusion from WG poll on dataplane solution for compressing segment routing over IPv6

Dear Chairs,

Many thanks for your hard working.

We are happy to see that the CSID draft has significant interest to be
adopted as a WG document.

Regarding the dataplane, the authors believe that the CSID draft contains
only one dataplane solution with two different flavors[1]: NEXT-CSID-FLAVOR
and REPLACE-CSID-FLAVOR, rather than two dataplane solutions.

Both the flavors are defined based on the SRv6 data plane(one data plane),
and the SIDs with these two flavors can be encoded in a single SRH just like
we can encode PSP Flavor SIDs and USD flavor SIDs together in a SRH.

The inter-op test of CSIDs had been done almost one year ago[2], and
everything was OK.

Furthermore, the mechanism defined in the draft has been stable and mature.

With the consensus, the authors hope WG can consider to adopt the CSID
draft.

Best regards,
Weiqiang
on behalf of CSID authors