[spring] 答复: Beyond SRv6.

Lizhenbin <lizhenbin@huawei.com> Mon, 02 September 2019 17:50 UTC

From: Lizhenbin <lizhenbin@huawei.com>
To: Rob Shakir <robjs=40google.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, SPRING WG List <spring@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2019 17:50:42 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.45.63.36]
Subject: [spring] 答复: Beyond SRv6.

Hi Folks,

I have explained opinions in the session meeting of IETF104. Here I would like to summarize it agian:

1. Problem Statement

There are three three major concerns about SRH:

1) Path MTU: In theory it may be an issue. But as the develoment of the link layer technology, the network administrators always configure the MTU as the size of Jambo Frame (That is up to 9000B) to prevent unnecessary problems. Even without SRv6 they already do like this way. So the MTU is not a big issue in the current network.

2) Payload efficiency: According to the statistics information from CAIDA and other sources, the average packet size is above 512B. When introduce 3-5 SRv6 segment ,the decreas of payload efficiency is under control. We do not think in a short time we will need up to 10 or 10+ segments which is only theoretic or to extensively use SRv6 segment.

3) Forwarding efficiency: Huawei product already supports up to 10 layers of segments for SRv6 SRH. I believe more hardware can support enough segments in a short time which is faster than the standardization process for the new encapsulation.

Besides above fact in the existing network, we can also take SR-MPLS as the example. Five years ago, people also worried about such issues. After 5 years we can learn what happens which is much less serious than what was concerned.

2. Solutions

According to the analysis of the problem statement, for the possible solutions I have following suggesions:

1) The price should be low. Compressing is just optimizaiton and will not add new services. We need not introduce a new set of control plane and forwarding plane extensions which will take a long time for standardization. That is the reason why we proposed the C-SRH (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-li-spring-compressed-srv6-np-00 ). We think its price is low enough since it will not change the existing control plane of SRv6. Even so we still think Binding SID should be the first choice. It is simplest and more mature after the verication in SR-MPLS.

2) Avoid the repeated work: After a long work the solutions based on SRH is already mature. Firstly we should avoid a new set of protocol extensions. Secondly if there is concern on the size of IPv6 dataplane which may be caused by strict TE or SFC, it is uncessary to repeat work on VPN, OAM, etc.

Thinking about the comming IGP/BGP/PCEP/BESS/6MAN/etc. work on the topic, in order to avoid the possible waste on the standarization effort and we already learned much from the discussion on the problem statement and requirement, we could have a draft to consolidate them as a base firstly for further discussion, then begin to do possible protocol work.

Best Regards,

Zhenbin (Robin)