Re: [spring] SID Conflict Resolution: A Simpler Proposal

<bruno.decraene@orange.com> Wed, 21 December 2016 14:39 UTC

From: bruno.decraene@orange.com
To: "Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsberg@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 14:39:39 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.5]
Cc: "spring@ietf.org" <spring@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [spring] SID Conflict Resolution: A Simpler Proposal

Les,

Still as an individual contributor, SID conflict resolution is about a trade-off between implementation complexity and network availability. Hence evaluating the consequences on network availability is at least as important as evaluating the implementation complexity; especially as the former is easier to quantify while the latter may be implementation specific. So on this FEC/network availability standpoint, please find below three comments.

1) The slides presented might IMHO slightly mislead a reader:
- the discussion on network availability compares "Quarantine" vs "Ignore Overlap"
- the conclusion discuss "Ignore Overlap" vs "Ignore"

So they are comparing different things, while a quick reader may assume that apples were compared to apples.
Note that I'm not saying (and not thinking) that this is misleading on purpose. I'm expressing the way I read it.

2) Regarding the new proposal, post Seoul, it is vocal on the complexity side, but not on the network availability side which is not evaluated. This does not helps the WG understanding of the trade-off involved and the making of an informed decision.
I'm even wondering if the network availability has been considered since by default, this proposal seems to kill, by design, the SRMS and SR-LDP inter-working.
SRMS has been designed in order to allow for the inter-working with LDP, in a brown-field scenario where SR is introduced in a LDP MPLS network.
e.g. a typical set of advertisements would be
1. PrefixSID: (192, 1.1.1.1/32 100 range 1)
2. MS:        (128, 1.1.1.1/32 100 range 255)

With this simple example, not even having a configuration error but using a nominal configuration, the MS advertisement would be ignored with the ignore policy, hence the LDP interwork would not work, and all LDP/non-SR nodes would loose SID hence loose SR connectivity.
Eventually, you may change the algorithm, to look beyond the most preferred entry, and check whether the SIDs are really different or not. And if not, change the algo to pick the largest range rather than the highest preference. But this is adding complexity to cover a specific case, while keeping the solution weak in term of network availability, in the general case. e.g. if we do have a different SID, many  prefix (99%) would lose their SID.

3) Finally, when discussing "Ignore Overlap", a typical quote from the authors is "maximize forwarding" or "operate optimally", as if we were trying to optimize for the last bit. But note that "Ignore Overlap" is _not_ maximizing forwarding.  Maximizing forwarding would be much more complex, and nobody on the list has even tried for this, including draft-ietf-spring-conflict-resolution.
e.g. with following advertisements with a misconfiguration
1. PrefixSID: (192, 1.1.1.1/32 101 range 1)
2. MS:        (128, 1.1.1.1/32 100 range 255)

During prefix conflict, for 1.1.1.1/32 Ignore Overlap selects the SID from prefixSID entry, which will latter have a SID conflict with the MS entry (SID 101, prefixes 1.1.1.1 vs 1.1.1.2). As a result, 1.1.1.2 won't get a SID.
In this specific case, a solution "maximizing the forwarding" would have ignored the PrefixSID. But in the general case, "maximizing the forwarding" may require evaluating all options, and then pick the best one based on all results.

So please let's keep evaluating the impact on the network availability. Berlin presentation was a good example on this.

--Bruno