Re: [spring] draft-anand-spring-poi-sr

<bruno.decraene@orange.com> Wed, 08 January 2020 12:47 UTC

From: bruno.decraene@orange.com
To: "madanand@ciena.com" <madanand@ciena.com>
CC: SPRING WG List <spring@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2020 12:47:08 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.114.13.247]
Subject: Re: [spring] draft-anand-spring-poi-sr

Madhukar, authors,

Speaking as individual contributor, trying to help.

Thanks for the updated draft, which has improved over time.

The subject covers both optical and IP routing parts. Unfortunately, those subjects are typically covered in different WGs and by different people, so coming from a different history. This usually does not help and becomes worse when defining needs concept, such as 'POG'.

For presenting to IP routing folks (e.g., SPRING, LSR, IDR), I would suggest presenting from the IP routing aspect.
My reading & translation would be:
- the SR node has multiple links toward an adjacent SR node, with different optical characteristics. ('Adjacent' as per IGP adjacency in the SR/packet IGP)
- We want to associate a different SID to each link, such that an headend SR node could use an SR routing policy in order to steer a packet flow over a specific link. [1]
- We propose to use BGP-LS to advertise this SID and its characteristics.

[1] Whether we call the SID a 'Transport SID' or a 'Binding SID' or an 'Adjacency SID' is to be discussed.

If the above is a correct summary,

a)      I think the IDR WG would be a good home to introduce the above summary and the BGP-LS extension.
(I could have comments on those, such as why not reusing BGP-LS Adjacency SID TLV in order to advertise your SID, adding TLV/sub-TLV for you additional information e.g. Domain ID, Transport Segment Sub TLVs, but they would be individual comment belonging to the IDR WG. Probably same comment for the PCE extension)

b)      If you need to also cover the optical domain and the PCE protocol, may be the PCE WG would be a good home for that part.

c)       Now do you need something specific from the SPRING WG?
Except may be the above terminology point, especially if you really need to define something different such as 'Transport SID'. But why not reusing existing type of SIDs, e.g., Adjacency SID?
Then you are proposing to re-use the SR-Policy concept and apply it to your Transport policy use case. This is usually  a good think, thank you. However, I’m not completely certain that this is a perfect fit (very open question) E.g. you want a different SID per path while the SR policy wants the same SID for all paths

“Each TSR policy is associated with one or more candidate paths, each of them associated with a (locally) unique Binding SID”

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-anand-spring-poi-sr-08#section-5

“Candidate Paths of the same SR policy SHOULD have the same BSID.”

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-spring-segment-routing-policy-06#section-6.1

So may be all you need is Adjacency SIDs associated with additional (optical specifics) capabilities (Domain ID, Transport Segment Sub TLVs)?

Regards,
--Bruno