Re: [spring] WG Adoption Call for https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gandhi-spring-twamp-srpm-11

Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu> Fri, 30 October 2020 04:30 UTC

To: "Chengli (Cheng Li)" <c.l@huawei.com>, James Guichard <james.n.guichard@futurewei.com>, "spring@ietf.org" <spring@ietf.org>
Cc: "ippm-chairs@ietf.org" <ippm-chairs@ietf.org>, "spring-chairs@ietf.org" <spring-chairs@ietf.org>
From: Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 12:30:06 +0800
Subject: Re: [spring] WG Adoption Call for https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gandhi-spring-twamp-srpm-11

Working Group,

I support adopting this document.

However I have one question; if it leads to (very small) changes in the
document, this can be done after the adoption.

I'm looking at

    HMAC-SHA: Consists of two parts
    HMAC: Hashed Message Authentication Code (expanded in the document).
    SHA: Secure Hash Algorithm (not expanded, but on the other hand it an
         well-known abbreviation)

When we combine two abbreviations what rules apply, is it enough that
eachpart is expanded "somewhere" even if the parts are found at
different places. Or does the rule "expand at first occurrence apply?

I guess that in part this depends on whether we view HMAC-SHA as one
unit or two separate parts? And how familiar we believe our readers are
with the abbreviations.

I don't have a strong opinion on this, but would suggest that we place
HMAC-SHA in the "Abbreviations" in section 2.2 and expamnd it fully.