Re: [spring] A technical concern regarding draft-schmutzer-spring-cs-sr-policy-00

"Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com> Fri, 28 April 2023 08:58 UTC

From: "Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com>
To: "Christian Schmutzer (cschmutz)" <cschmutz@cisco.com>, Alexander Vainshtein <Alexander.Vainshtein@rbbn.com>
CC: "draft-schmutzer-spring-cs-sr-policy.all@ietf.org" <draft-schmutzer-spring-cs-sr-policy.all@ietf.org>, "spring@ietf.org" <spring@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 08:58:01 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.112.40.66]
Subject: Re: [spring] A technical concern regarding draft-schmutzer-spring-cs-sr-policy-00

Hi Christian,

Thanks for updating the draft and reminding me about my comments on the previous version.

I’ve gone through the text in section 3.1, and think it describes useful approaches for providing bandwidth guarantee to CS policies. While I have one remaining question:

My reading is that the bandwidth is allocated to all the CS SR policies (either via a physical link, a logical link or a queue), this could ensure the total bandwidth of all the CS policies are guaranteed. While since different CS policies share the same set of resources, is it possible that in some cases the services carried by the CS policies may compete with each other for that set of shared resources (e.g. due to burst in some CS services)? If so, do you want to mention this in the draft, and may also provide some approaches to avoid or mitigate this effect.

Best regards,
Jie