[spring] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-spring-nsh-sr-12: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Mon, 24 April 2023 13:12 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-spring-nsh-sr@ietf.org, spring-chairs@ietf.org, spring@ietf.org, bruno.decraene@orange.com, bruno.decraene@orange.com
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 06:12:22 -0700
Subject: [spring] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-spring-nsh-sr-12: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-spring-nsh-sr-12: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-spring-nsh-sr/

COMMENT:

Thank you for the work put into this document.

Please find below some non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be
appreciated even if only for my own education), and one nit.

Special thanks to Bruno Decraene for the shepherd's detailed write-up including
the WG consensus *and* the justification of the intended status.

Please note that Dave Thaler is the Internet directorate reviewer (at my
request) and you may want to consider this int-dir review as well when it will
be available (no need to wait for it though):
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-spring-nsh-sr/reviewrequest/17400/
Even a double thanks to Dave as he also did an early int-dir review (and I
noted the authors' reaction to this early review).

I hope that this review helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

# COMMENTS (non blocking)

## Acronyms

May I suggest to also expand acronyms at first use *outside* the abstract ?
E.g., SFF

## Section 3

The reader will understand better figure 1 with:

* the packet outside border having a different border than the
functions/devices (e.g., using '/' rather than '|') * the packet headers being
closer to (1) and (4) * referring in the text to the steps (1), (2), ...

## Section 5.2

Should the cache be emptied when a packet came back ? or on time-out (as either
no reply or multiple replies could be expected). The reader has to wait until
section 9 to get some hints (and it is unclear whether the caching refers to
the section 5.2 caching).

## Section 9

In absence of cache entry, should the text specify that the packet is dropped ?
Or should a ICMP sent back to the SF ?

# NITS (non blocking / cosmetic)

## Section 6.2

s/128 bits IPv6 address/128-bit IPv6 address/ ?