Re: [Spud] updated draft PLUS charter, rev. 1 June

Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch> Tue, 07 June 2016 19:32 UTC

From: Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2016 21:32:28 +0200
To: Aaron Falk <aaron.falk@gmail.com>
Cc: Brian Trammell <ietf@trammell.ch>, spud <spud@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Spud] updated draft PLUS charter, rev. 1 June

Hi Aaron,

a few comments/answers mostly as proponent (if not indicated differently) in line.

> Am 07.06.2016 um 19:44 schrieb Aaron Falk <aaron.falk@gmail.com>:
>
> Oh, and there should be some draft deliverables so we can have a fight about the realism of the associated dates.

As AD, I find this less important then the rest of the text. As proponent, I think the milestones/deliverables are more important than the dates... And there are actually a few open questions here, that I would like to discuss in BoF. But I guess we can start this discussion on the list before the meeting.

> On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 1:40 PM Aaron Falk <aaron.falk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Apologies for being behind on the list and maybe repeating points that have been made.  A few comments based on my review of the BoF proposal & charter:
>
> 	• 1st para of the charter says “The working group will not specify any new transport protocols.” and the 5th para says “The PLUS working group will specify a new protocol”.  I think the latter statement is correct.

No both is correct. Yes, we want to specify a new protocol, but I wouldn’t call it a transport protocol, because it’s ‚only‘ a signal shim layer, which does not have any of the other typical transport feature because there always has to be a ‚real‘ transport protocol on top. With this first sentences we wanted to make that clear; maybe it’s still not clear enough.

> 	• I’d like to see a comment on PLUS re-enabling ICMP functionality

Yes, that’s a very good use case and clearly in scope. However, there are other good use cases as well, see the use case draft, and we decided to not explicitly outline one (of a subset of them) in the charter.

> 	• There’s the obvious & unaddressed question about the relation to QUIC

I also think that this does not really belong in the charter. It’s for sure important to make this clear in the BoF and that why we have the agenda item on 'Relationship to other work in the IETF‘.

> 	• The PLUS Bof description should start something like “This BoF is to discuss the proposed PLUS working group.  The wg’s goal is to…”

Don’t know; isn’t that implicit for a working group forming BoF…?

> 	• No discussion of wg anti-goals.  I had heard some interest in ruling middlebox to middlebox signaling as out of scope.

That’s a good point. I believe that’s out of scope and would be willing to add that.

> 	• (To ADs:) Would like to see the QUIC and PLUS BoFs scheduled back-to-back.  While I think the topics are mostly separable, if the discussion gets out of sync it will be a headache.

As AD, we already discussed that we would like to see the QUIC BoF first because at least I believe otherwise there is a high risk to have the QUIC BoF in the SPUD BoF. However, I don’t think back to back is a good idea (to have some cooling down phase in the mean time). And given that both BoFs look for a 2.5h slots, they probably will be in two morning slots on different days.

Mirja