Re: [Spud] [Privsec-program] Detecting and Defeating TCP/IP Hypercookie Attacks

Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch> Fri, 29 July 2016 21:40 UTC

From: Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 23:39:54 +0200
To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Cc: Brian Trammell <ietf@trammell.ch>, privsec-program@iab.org, spud <spud@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Spud] [Privsec-program] Detecting and Defeating TCP/IP Hypercookie Attacks

Hi Stephen,

while I personally think that a good protocol design should be extensible because that’s the lesson we learnt over many years now (see draft-iab-protocol-transitions-02), I guess we simply have different opinions here and should leave it stand like this.

One point I want to clarify (as you asked for it):

> Well, no, PLUS is not a proposal to do that iiuc - PLUS is a proposal
> to expose some information when such encryption is being done as
> defined by some other specification which is not PLUS. If my take
> there is wrong, I'd appreciate being corrected.

There are two aspects here:

1) PLUS requires the encryption context from the transport protocol. As PLUS is not a transport protocol in itself, it e.g. cannot provide reliable transmission, which also means it cannot negotiate any encryption context in its own. That means it must use information given from the transport protocol above. If the transport used does not have any of these feature, we have to have another layer in between, namely DTLS.

2) PLUS is a proposal to enable encryption of transport headers because it is just not possible today to encrypt your transport header as it is. Encryption of the TCP header was discussed in tcpinc and decided to not do it because it would cause deployment problem. The minimum you have to do to encrypt your transport header is encapsulation in UDP. However, especially on port 80 this still can lead to blocking. Future providing some information that helps firewalls to make decisions about which traffic is legitimate vs. attack traffic, is necessary to at least maintain the level of security that we have today.

As you said in your mail to Ted, it is hard to decide now what the right set of information is, and my personal opinion is that if we make a decision now and provide no way to change anything later, we can just be wrong.

However, which information should be exposed (when, how and how often) are questions for a wg, as well as any decision on extensibility or not.

Mirja