Re: [Spud] Thoughts on the privacy concerns expressed at the BoF

Dave Dolson <ddolson@sandvine.com> Wed, 27 July 2016 20:38 UTC

From: Dave Dolson <ddolson@sandvine.com>
To: Kyle Rose <krose@krose.org>, Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 20:31:00 +0000
x-originating-ip: [192.168.200.63]
x-c2processedorg: b2f06e69-072f-40ee-90c5-80a34e700794
Cc: "spud@ietf.org" <spud@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Spud] Thoughts on the privacy concerns expressed at the BoF

Kyle Rose said:
“…I became hopeful that much more information about data flows could be obscured in a PLUS-enabled internet than is possible today, perhaps even to the point of obscuring source addresses and making flows and maybe even individual packets to busy endpoints hard to correlate…”

The ability to obscure source addresses opens a huge attack surface for DDoS attacks, since there is no way to implement BCP 38 (Network Ingress Filtering).

Furthermore, to my knowledge, DDoS attacks are most effectively scrubbed precisely by correlating inbound packets with outbound packets that are evidence the protected service desires to communicate with the sender.
(I suppose a scrubber could simply discard most source-obscured traffic.)

Privacy is one side of security, but the ability to resist attacks is another important aspect. As far as I know, no one has figured out how to mitigate DDoS attacks at the receiving end-point.

I’m hoping this group can at least agree that mitigating DDoS attacks is a legitimate role of devices in the network.

-Dave