Re: Draft Security Policy

postel@venera.isi.edu Thu, 18 October 1990 03:00 UTC

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 1990 16:15:11 -0700
From: postel@venera.isi.edu
Posted-Date: Wed, 17 Oct 90 16:15:11 PDT
To: psrg-interest@venera.isi.edu, rdp@cert.sei.cmu.edu, saag@tis.com, spwg@NRI.Reston.VA.US, ssphwg@NRI.Reston.VA.US
Subject: Re: Draft Security Policy

Rich:

Hi.  I see no evidience that the following comments were processed.

I really am perplexed by the paragraph:

  Security is understood to include protection of the privacy of
  information, protection of information against unauthorized
  modification, protection of systems against denial of service, and
  protection of systems against unauthorized access or use.  ["access"
  covers unauthorized database lookup, for example; "use" covers
  unauthorized logging in to a system.]

I don't see where this "access" vs "use" distinction is made use of later,
and i don't see any difference in the supposed definitions.

--jon.