Re: [ssm] wg last call for draft-ietf-ssm-arch-03 complete

hoerdt@clarinet.u-strasbg.fr Fri, 17 October 2003 07:31 UTC

From: hoerdt@clarinet.u-strasbg.fr
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:30:52 +0200
To: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
cc: Hugh Holbrook <holbrook@cisco.com>, ssm@ietf.org, supratik@sprintlabs.com
Subject: Re: [ssm] wg last call for draft-ietf-ssm-arch-03 complete
Sender: ssm-admin@ietf.org

And a second thing I think is the implementation of SSM, which is a subset
of ASM in the architecture view (PIM-SSM is a subset of PIM-SM).  How will
they prevent people to use the 232/8 address space ? quite crasy to
imagine it, will they buy the address space which is supposed to belong to
each local machine ? Why do they not claim that ASM contains a subset of
technology wich is already patented by Apple ? IGMPv3 technology was here
already in 1992.. and PIM-SM in 1994, so we can surely say that SSM was
already there, but not implemented before the patents. One can use ASM to
do SSM and this is already the case for TV-like applications, is this
patentable ?

Hoerdt Mickaël
LSIIT-Strasbourg