[ssm] permanent ipv6 ssm addresses [was ...last call..]

Hugh Holbrook <holbrook@cisco.com> Tue, 11 March 2003 08:06 UTC

From: Hugh Holbrook <holbrook@cisco.com>
To: Brian Haberman <bkhabs@nc.rr.com>
Cc: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>, Hugh Holbrook <holbrook@cisco.com>, ssm@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 00:02:14 -0800
Subject: [ssm] permanent ipv6 ssm addresses [was ...last call..]
Sender: ssm-admin@ietf.org

[snipping just the thread on allocating permanent ipv6 addresses]

Thanks for your input, Pekka and Brian.

Exactly -- the idea is that an application that requires, for some
reason, that the same channel destination address be used on all hosts
providing that channel would be allocated from 0x40000000-0x7fffffff.
Any other channel destination addresses, regardless of lifetime, must
come from the 0x80000000-0xffffffff space.

Section 4.3 states that a host OS SHOULD provide an interface to
allocate a random address, and that this information must be stored in
a database that persists across reboots.  The idea is that this is the
mechanism that an application or user uses to allocate an SSM address.

I think this is probably already clear, but I want to underscore the
importance of using random allocation for SSM addresses.  It is not a
good idea (and is in fact specifically disallowed in section 4.3) for
a host, host application, or host OS, to deterministically pick
FF3x::1 or FF3x::2, or *any* fixed value as the channel destination
address on all hosts for some application -- because of the link-layer
collision issue.

--------------------------------

So to summarize on the text changes, the only textual change I
currently think is warranted is to clarify in 4.3 and in the IANA
Considerations section the use of the 4000:0000 to 7fff:ffff

In 4.3, change this:

  The SSM destination address 232.0.0.0 is reserved, and systems MUST NOT
  send datagrams with destination address of 232.0.0.0.  The address range
  232.0.0.1-232.0.0.255 is currently reserved for allocation by IANA.  The
  IPv6 SSM address range FF3x::/32 is reserved for IANA allocation.

to correctly call out the 0x4000000-7fffffff range.

  The SSM destination address 232.0.0.0 is reserved, and systems MUST NOT
  send datagrams with destination address of 232.0.0.0.  The address range
  232.0.0.1-232.0.0.255 is currently reserved for allocation by IANA.  SSM
  destination addresses in the range FF3x::4000:0000 through
  FF3x::7FFF:FFFF are similarly reserved for IANA allocation.

I'm not sure where the FF3x::/32 came from, but I think it is a
vestige of an earlier revision that was less clear on the /96 vs /32
distinction.

And a similar fix IANA Considerations.

  Addresses in the range 232.0.0.1 through 232.0.0.255 and IPv6
  addresses with prefix FF3x:: are reserved for services with wide
  applicability that either require or would strongly benefit if all
  hosts used a well-known SSM destination address for that service.

to read

  Addresses in the range 232.0.0.1 through 232.0.0.255 and IPv6
  addresses in the range FF3x:4000:0000 to FF3x::7FFF:FFFF are
  reserved for services with wide applicability that either require or
  would strongly benefit if all hosts used a well-known SSM
  destination address for that service.

Any objections to these changes?

-Hugh