[ssm] what to say about scoping for v6 [was ...last call...]

Hugh Holbrook <holbrook@cisco.com> Tue, 11 March 2003 07:34 UTC

From: Hugh Holbrook <holbrook@cisco.com>
To: Brian Haberman <bkhabs@nc.rr.com>, Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
Cc: ssm@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 23:30:08 -0800
Subject: [ssm] what to say about scoping for v6 [was ...last call...]
Sender: ssm-admin@ietf.org

[ ... Snipping just the thread on scoping for ssm ]

My comments inline...

> Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 08:01:49 -0500
> From: Brian Haberman <bkhabs@nc.rr.com>
> Cc: Hugh Holbrook <holbrook@cisco.com>, ssm@ietf.org
>
> Pekka Savola wrote:

> >>The intent was that the scope of the SSM group address would
> >>not exceed the scope of the SSM source address.  The scoped addr
> >>arch forwarding rules *WILL* prevent a scoped address from leaking
> >>out of the administrative zone.
> >>
> >>The overall issue though is not SSM-specific.
> >

> > Yes and no: in ASM, the DR only checks that G is ok; not it must check
> > that both S and G are ok.
> >

> Actually, the DR has to check both S and G to ensure that it does
> not send a PIM Join across a scope zone boundary regardless of it
> being ASM or SSM.  There was some text in the original PIM for v6
> draft a long time ago.
>

> >>That is, the
> >>scoped addr arch is responsible for determining the forwarding
> >>issues around scoped addresses.  I don't see a need for putting
> >>any type of scoped address issues in the SSM doc.

> >>As stated above, I don't see a reason to deal with scoped addresses
> >>in the SSM arch doc.
> >

> > I understand this argument and I agree with it, mostly: at this point, we
> > may end up doing some nasty things (in ipv6 w.g.) with scoped address
> > architecture anyway, so trying to specify everything in detail in the
> > specs before we know we have to do it seems premature.
>
> Agreed. :)
>

> > So, I can support putting considerations like these in the scoped address
> > architecture document, but IMO, there *must* be a brief mention of the
> > issues and a pointer in e.g. Security Considerations section.

A pointer to what? draft-ietf-ipngwg-scoping-arch-04.txt?

> I don't see a problem with doing that.  The security section can mention
> the issue and say that it is out of scope for this doc and is being
> addressed elsewhere.

So I'm trying to convert this discussion about scoping to concrete
text.  Here's what the doc currently says about v6 scoped addresses.

  For IPv6, administratively scoped SSM addresses are created by choosing
  an appropriate scope identifier for the SSM destination address.  Normal
  IPv6 multicast scope boundaries are applied to traffic sent to an SSM
  destination address.

I note that this paragraph is confusing because it says you can make a
"scoped SSM addresses" when what it should say is "scoped SSM channel
addresses".  Here is proposed text to incorporate what I think Pekka
is suggesting.

  For IPv6, administratively scoped SSM channel addresses are created
  by choosing an appropriate scope identifier for the SSM destination
  address.  Normal IPv6 multicast scope boundaries are applied to
  traffic sent to an SSM destination address, including any relevant
  boundaries applied to both the source and destination address.

Question 1: Do you accept the above text?  I'm not sure I captured the
issue, so I'd appreciate a better alternative if you see one.

Question 2: If not, is there an appropriate reference for "Normal IPv6
multicast scope boundaries," or is it preferable to intentionally
leave the document without a reference?

Question 3: Should we add text to clarify the "embedded address" text
in RFC3306.  I can think of three options:

Either prohibit it:

  For IPv6, senders MUST ensure that the scope of a channel
  destination address does not exceed the scope of the channel source
  address.

Or allow it:

  For IPv6, the scope of a channel destination address MAY exceed the
  scope of the channel source address.  Normal forwarding rules for
  scoped traffic apply to a packet sent to such a channel.  Normal
  multicast scoping rules apply for any routing protocol messages
  (e.g., "joins") referring to such a channel.

Or say nothing:

I am inclined to do the latter, and I think this is what both of you
are saying.  Am I right?