RE: [ssm] Apple patent search

"Michael Luby" <luby@digitalfountain.com> Thu, 13 November 2003 19:14 UTC

From: Michael Luby <luby@digitalfountain.com>
To: "Lucy E. Lynch" <llynch@darkwing.uoregon.edu>, ssm@ietf.org
Cc: Michael Luby <luby@digitalfountain.com>
Subject: RE: [ssm] Apple patent search
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:12:36 -0800
Sender: ssm-admin@ietf.org

I don't think that is the correct patent.  More likely the one I list here:

United States Patent  5,517,494
Green  May 14, 1996

----
Method and system of multicast routing for groups with a single transmitter

Abstract
A method of implementing a multicast routing protocol in routers is provided
to manage the assignment of multicast transport addresses and to forward
data from a single transmitting endpoint to multiple receiving endpoints.
This method in conjunction with a method for implementing the multicast
routing protocol as a transport protocol layer service for endpoints
provides an internet wide multicast transport service. The multicast
transport service provides the capability of transmitting data from a single
source to multiple receivers on interconnected networks efficiently and
without having to send duplicate copies of the data on any single network.
Routers and endpoints transmit and receive multicast packets in a manner
which is independent of the network layer datagram protocols used by the
multicast transport service. Multicast control packets are exchanged using a
multicast transaction protocol which allows routers and endpoints to execute
transactions in a manner that does not require either routers to know the
state of specific endpoints or endpoints to know the state of specific
routers.

----
Inventors:  Green; Mark A. (Albany, CA)
Assignee:  Apple Computer, Inc. (Cupertino, CA)
Appl. No.:  316081
Filed:  September 30, 1994

Current U.S. Class: 370/408
Intern'l Class:  H04L 012/46; H04L 012/56
Field of Search:  395/200,325 370/58.1,54,60,85.13,85.14