RE: [ssm] IPv6 Multicast Throughput problems in 802.11

"Tiago Sousa" <tmas@dei.uc.pt> Tue, 15 November 2005 16:21 UTC

From: Tiago Sousa <tmas@dei.uc.pt>
To: 'Marshall Eubanks' <marshall.eubanks@gmail.com>
Subject: RE: [ssm] IPv6 Multicast Throughput problems in 802.11
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 16:21:03 -0000
Cc: ssm@ietf.org
Sender: ssm-bounces@ietf.org

Thanks for the reply.

Well, one cool thing about 802.11 is that you can generally see every
packet.

Have you  used tcpdump to see if the packets get placed into the air ?

Yes. I sniff the router outgoing interface where the AP is connect and I can
see the packets flying to air.

That should distinguish  between broken packets (they are there, but
fragmented or
have some  other problem) and some filtering happening in the access point
or
upstream.

It is true. The majority of times I see fragmented packets in the outgoing
interface. Do you think that AP is filtering this fragmented packets? Why?

If they aren't, you should be able to put a hub at the  AP or look on
the AP LAN and see if they are _reaching_ the AP. (You can join the
group on the AP LAN if it is not broadcasting multicast) If they are,
then it's an AP problem. If I had to guess,
I would suspect an AP problem, but it's good to know for sure.

I will find another AP and try.

Thanks.

Tiago Sousa

Regards