Re: [ssm] Multicast SSM throughput in 802.11

Tiago Sousa <tmas@dei.uc.pt> Thu, 20 October 2005 17:08 UTC

Subject: Re: [ssm] Multicast SSM throughput in 802.11
From: Tiago Sousa <tmas@dei.uc.pt>
To: Peter Gutierrez <peterg@nic.umass.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 18:01:16 +0100
Cc: ssm@ietf.org
Sender: ssm-bounces@ietf.org

Hello to all.

Thanks for the reply. I extend the gratefulness to the others that had
answered.

My wireless access point is configured to send traffic at rate of 54Mbps
(802.11g) although my mobile node receives at 11Mbps (802.11b). So, if i
understand well your suggestion the Basic Rate settings are well
implemented because it is only specified 54Mbps in the AP. Am i correct?

I didn't understand the suggestion of Gaurav: Profiled TCP. Can you
explain better? The multicast throughput (UDP based) can also depends of
the TCP profile?

The suggestion of Matthias: check in the AP if the multicast rate is
limited. I've been in the web-based interface and i didn't find any item
that refer to multicast. I am using a Belkin 54g AP.

My opinion is that the problem must be in the AP because the outgoing
interface of the access router sends traffic at 4 Mbps. The only thing
in the middle, between the router and the MN, is the AP. So, the
throughput must be affected by some item in the AP.
I've confirmed all the possible items in the AP and i didn't find any
related with multicast...

Do you have more suggestions?

Thanks to all.

Tiago Sousa