[ssm] summary of changes in draft-ietf-ssm-arch-07.txt

Hugh Holbrook <holbrook@cs.stanford.edu> Wed, 05 October 2005 21:28 UTC

Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 14:28:27 -0700
From: Hugh Holbrook <holbrook@cs.stanford.edu>
To: ssm@ietf.org
Subject: [ssm] summary of changes in draft-ietf-ssm-arch-07.txt
Sender: ssm-bounces@ietf.org

Ok, draft-ietf-ssm-arch-07.txt is now available in the ID archives.
I am optimistic that this version can pass through the IESG review.

A nice colorized rfcdiff html page indicating what changed between the
-06 version and the -07 draft is available at this page:

http://thoop.net/ssm/draft-ietf-ssm-arch-07-from-6.diff.html

The rest of this mail summarizes all the changes in the -07 version.
My first submission yesterday got rejected by the idnits bot because
it had stale boilerplate.  I fixed that and discovered that the
document is now over 15 pages, so idnits complained that it lacked a
table of contents, which I added.

While I was trying to convince nroff to generate a ToC, I did one more
pass over the IESG review comments to identify anything that might
block the passage through the IESG review.  In doing so I realized
that I had not  yet responded fully to Spencer Dawkins' gen-arts
review, so I added a few sentences in response to his review.  I sent
them to Spencer, and he seemed happy with my proposed changes.

One of the comments he made was asking for clarification why 232.0.0.0
is a reserved address that IANA should not allocate.  [The original
motiviation for this was to have one
"reserved" address that is unused, which can be convenient in an
implementation, similar to the way that 224.0.0.0 is reserved for ASM.
 Steve Deering originally suggested this, I think.]  So I added some
text to 4.3 to clarify.

While editing that section, I remembered a comment that someone made
along the way (I think it was Alex or maybe Pekka) asking why there
isn't an IPv6 reserved address for the same reason.  This is basiclaly
just an oversight, and I think this issue could legitimately come up
in the IESG review, so I added some text to 4.3 (SSM address
allocation) and Section 9 (IANA considerations) to give
FF3x::4000:0000 consideration similar to 232.0.0.0.  FF3x::4000:0000
comes out of the space that is already reserved for IANA allocation,
so I don't think this has any operational or practical impact for
anyone who is compliant with the current draft.  But if anyone has any
opinion on this (either way) I'd appreciate your input at this point,
since this is the one change in this revision that is not basically a
clarification.

Spencer also requested a clarification as to how a receiver can detect
the SPI collision problem (documented in Section 7.2).  So I added one
sentence to section 7 explaining this.

The only other change in the -07 version that weren't in the diffs I
sent out yesterday is to add a table of contents, and to update a few
of the references.

[And of course there are the changes I mentioned in yesterday's mail
-- the primary one of which adding section 7.1 and the moving of the
text that was in 7.1 to 7.2, to address the security DISCUSS.]

-Hugh