Re: [Status] Jari Arkko's BLOCK on charter-ietf-spring-00-06

joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com> Sat, 12 October 2013 00:14 UTC

From: joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 17:14:19 -0700
To: stbryant@cisco.com
Cc: Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>, Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>, "iesg@ietf.org" <iesg@ietf.org>, "status@ietf.org" <status@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Status] Jari Arkko's BLOCK on charter-ietf-spring-00-06

On Oct 10, 2013, at 10:34 AM, Stewart Bryant <stbryant@cisco.com> wrote:

> On 10/10/2013 17:39, Jari Arkko wrote:
>> Thomas,
>>
>>> I think a key point is that with IPv6, we are talking (potentially)
>>> end-to-end exposure of an attack vector. You can have arbitrary end
>>> nodes anywhere on the Internet injecting traffic that potentially
>>> directly invokes or impacts source routing. In contrast, one can view
>>> MPLS as an L2 technology below IP. That means it's deployed in a much
>>> more restricted setting and a normal sender of TCP/IP has a much more
>>> restricted attack vector for doing anything that impacts MPLS directly
>>> (this is key diffference). That means the threat surface for attacks
>>> on MPLS are very different than for IPv6 more generally.
>> Yes - a good point. That is one of those restricted cases where it is possible to provide a reasonably secure solution.
>>
>> But my understanding is that SPRING was at IPv6 layer as well as on MPLS layer… although the charter does not explicitly say it. Just that it is not IPv4…
>>
>> If SPRING is expected to run at the IPv6 layer, what is the plan to contain the vulnerability?
>>
>> Jari
>>
>> .
>>
> The following was just posted on the STATUS list and clarifies
> intended IPv6 scope.
> All,
>
> On the topic of MPLS vs IPv6 - one being L2 hence more secure then the
> other (L3) I would like to observe that any decently managed network
> would already today prohibit to accept any external packets which have
> as destination an infrastructure address of such network. That is the
> basic protection scheme against DOS/DDOS attacks to the
> infrastructure.

Well… not really. we have a lovely document on control-plane protection which encapsulates what a number of operators consider good if not best practice RFC 6192.

One of the recommendations there is to allow but rate limit icmp necessary for for diagnostics. In some circles, icmp is considered an OAM diagnostic function. the operative observation though is the resource consumption potential is sufficicently trivial to understand that it can be managed with rather simple policing.