Re: [Status] Status of Spring

AshwoodsmithPeter <Peter.AshwoodSmith@huawei.com> Thu, 10 October 2013 20:49 UTC

From: AshwoodsmithPeter <Peter.AshwoodSmith@huawei.com>
To: Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net>, John E Drake <jdrake@juniper.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 20:48:53 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.193.60.170]
Cc: "EXT - joelja@bogus.com" <joelja@bogus.com>, Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>, "John G. Scudder" <jgs@bgp.nu>, Alvaro Retana <aretana@cisco.com>, Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>, Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, "status@ietf.org" <status@ietf.org>, "stbryant@cisco.com" <stbryant@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Status] Status of Spring

Robert,

Most of the TOR's and core DC switches have MPLS data planes already built into the ASICs, it's just turned off. It would not be terribly difficult actually to have a Hypervisor attach an n hop or so label stack and have the TOR and Spine switches do pop and forward without having to enable all the MPLS control planes. In my lab for example I could easily do that with most of my 20 odd  switches of different flavors and I'm sure that's true of most of the other vendor's DC gear/switches too. Of course you'd want a new form of control (SDN comes to mind), but that's true if you use V6 options, MPLS, ACL 'games' or whatever. The other advantage of MPLS in that context is that when the frame finally arrives at a VRF it can use MPLS IPVPN (or L2VPN) data plane semantics instead of something new that needs new hardware. The main constraint as far as I am aware is the limited stack depth available on initial push by some ASICs. Of course that's not a problem for the Hypervisor to VRF direction, or Hypervisor to Hypervisor but it is a problem for a VRF to Hypervisor (origin is often an ASIC). Of course in the DC you are going limited hops anyway so that may not be a concern.

However an area that does concern me is mobile backhaul. In that case an MPLS label stack is potentially a significant overhead and we may want to address it in some future version. I have a bit of real SP data (PDU size distributions) that shows it compared to other types of SP links which I can show in Vancouver if there is interest.

Peter