Re: [stir] current draft charter

"Richard Shockey" <richard@shockey.us> Thu, 13 June 2013 17:51 UTC

From: Richard Shockey <richard@shockey.us>
To: stir@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 13:49:34 -0400
Subject: Re: [stir] current draft charter

-----Original Message-----
From: stir-bounces@ietf.org [mailto:stir-bounces@ietf.org] On Behalf Of
Brian Rosen
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2013 12:52 PM
To: Richard Shockey
Cc: 'Wendt, Chris'; 'Dan York'; 'Peterson, Jon'; 'Hadriel Kaplan';
stir@ietf.org; 'Dave Crocker'; 'Stephen Farrell'; 'Henning Schulzrinne'

This particular effort is aimed at trying to do something about robocalling,
vishing and swatting in a relatively short time frame.  To many of us, that
seems doable.
[RS> ] I agree. No argument there.

Re-doing how routing of telephone number based identities work is the
charter of TERQ.  It probably can't be done relatively quickly, no matter
what mechanisms are used.

Restricting charter is a time-honored way of getting stuff done.  I'll take
that path without any qualms.  I'm not interested in re-doing routing of
telephone number identities as part of this work.
[RS> ]
[RS> ] <sigh>  but the practical issues of deployment are and that still is
related which to what  Chris and certainly Penn will constantly point out.
What are the optimal structures for the databases and query mechanisms that
do not necessarily require a 3 -7 year product cycle.  That may actually be
the national numbering databases where they exist.  Focusing on one or two
national use cases is in fact useful and as Penn correctly points out some
LOST like structure over time could work for internationalizing the system.
One thing would help is more data.

It would be nice to hear from the Dutch COIN people, for instance since the
structure of their LNP DB closely follows that of North American real time
models.   So is Ireland and ComReg I haven't monitored that stuff in years.

The point of asserting that it takes someone like Neustar to handle a
database like what is being described is that a DNS based tree doesn't map
into the way number delegation works - so the entire tree has to be handled
by one entity - you can't delegate part of it to someone else, especially
when porting is considered.   I was trying to contrast that with the model
I've described where cert delegation follows number delegation.  That
doesn't require a monolithic database.
[RS> ]
[RS> ] You are really going to have to re explain that what you mean ENUM
like delegation does not map into number delegation. Granted that having
dealt with ENUM for as many years as I have may have totally dulled my
synapses but you need to walk through that more carefully.   Ok so walk me
through how the Canadian NANP will be separated from the US NANP and
individual Public Safety numbers will the separated from both.

Brian

On Jun 13, 2013, at 12:39 PM, Richard Shockey <richard@shockey.us> wrote:

> [...]
Dismissing that question out of hand is absurd.