Re: [stir] current draft charter

Dan York <york@isoc.org> Mon, 17 June 2013 17:27 UTC

From: Dan York <york@isoc.org>
To: Hadriel Kaplan <hadriel.kaplan@oracle.com>, "Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 17:27:00 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.255.101.4]
x-forefront-antispam-report: SFV:SKI; SFS:; DIR:OUT; SFP:; SCL:-1; SRVR:BN1PR06MB072; H:BN1PR06MB072.namprd06.prod.outlook.com; LANG:en;
Cc: "stir@ietf.org" <stir@ietf.org>, "dcrocker@bbiw.net" <dcrocker@bbiw.net>
Subject: Re: [stir] current draft charter

On 6/17/13 2:18 AM, "Hadriel Kaplan" <hadriel.kaplan@oracle.com> wrote:

>On Jun 16, 2013, at 7:27 PM, "Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>
>wrote:
>
>> The exact amount of tolerable delay is a very interesting dimension of
>> this problem space. I suspect we have a considerable amount of time,
>>given
>> all the human expectations about both post-dial delay and the wait for
>> someone to pick up after altering. I think it's enough time to perform
>> some non-trivial operations.
>
>I've been thinking about that and I'm not sure we actually have much
>time.

+1.  As we as a society move more systems from the PSTN over to "IP
communications" I suspect that we will see a growing expectation to have
connections occur more quickly.  Other factors may enter in here, too, in
feeding that expectation.  For instance, we may see WebRTC apps that
quickly connect a calling user with another endpoint, and users may grow
to expect that kind of quick connection.  Or there may be a new IP-based
telco that attempts to differentiate itself by providing the fastest
connection time.  Or there may be a major vendor that launches a campaign
for IP communications like Google's "Speed Up The Web" that is aimed at
providing quicker connections.

I think you are right, Jon, based on *current* human expectations, but I
could easily see those expectations changing and I think we need to be
careful about tying a solution to current expectations. (Or at least if we
do that needs to be a conscious choice.)

>Anecdotally, I find that intra-nation calls get to ringing stage much
>faster than international calls, so people are probably ok with
>international caller-id verification taking longer.

Agreed, based again on *current* expectations around user behavior.  On
the other hand, when I make a call using Skype or Facetime I expect the
call to connect quickly. With some other apps browser-based apps I expect
to be able to pretty much push the button to initiate a call and start
talking.

I think we need to plan for the success of communication moving over to IP
and reaping some of the benefits of IP, including no longer being shackled
to legacy PSTN behavior.

My 2 cents,
Dan