Re: [stir] current draft charter - ENUM and databases

"Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz> Tue, 18 June 2013 19:26 UTC

From: "Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>
To: Hadriel Kaplan <hadriel.kaplan@oracle.com>, Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 19:26:38 +0000
x-originating-ip: [192.168.128.73]
x-ems-proccessed: R64IxjzeHPwwd+efoj3ZcA==
x-ems-stamp: 1nbNr6GMDk6MMRsB3uCMlg==
Cc: "stir@ietf.org" <stir@ietf.org>, Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
Subject: Re: [stir] current draft charter - ENUM and databases

I wouldn't characterize it as transitive trust in that sense, no. Think
about it like a whole nation-state is under a tree, and you ask your local
Forest Guide if you need to find the tree of another nation-state. It's a
way to let non-overlapping authorities opt in to cooperating on a global
system. So yes, you trust your own tree to be able to point you to other
trees as a form of lateral delegation, as an alternative to top-down. But
within the +1 tree, for example, there is a direct delegation of
authority.

Jon Peterson
Neustar, Inc.