Re: [stir] current draft charter

"Richard Shockey" <richard@shockey.us> Tue, 18 June 2013 15:06 UTC

From: Richard Shockey <richard@shockey.us>
To: philippe.fouquart@orange.com, 'Henning Schulzrinne' <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>, "'Peterson, Jon'" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 11:06:24 -0400
Cc: stir@ietf.org, dcrocker@bbiw.net
Subject: Re: [stir] current draft charter

-----Original Message-----
From: stir-bounces@ietf.org [mailto:stir-bounces@ietf.org] On Behalf Of
philippe.fouquart@orange.com
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 8:55 AM
To: Henning Schulzrinne; Peterson, Jon
Cc: stir@ietf.org; dcrocker@bbiw.net

FWIW, this notion of ownership of E.164 resources has indeed always been
distinct of that of assignment. E.164 is actually governed by the
overarching principles of E.190, which on this says that "assignment confers
use of the resource but does not imply ownership by the assignee".

In numbering plans I'm familiar with, this principle translates into an
article in all NRA assignment rulings stating that the assignment doesn't
confer the right to protect a number as a trademark for instance. Or some
limitations in time and transfer under conditions.
[RS> ]
[RS> ]  In general you are right though there are some odd corner cases.
Specifically the free phone number ranges 800 and 8XX ranges in the US and
Canada.

Although people sometimes like using ownership as a shortcut, it's more of a
right of use really. (I'm sure some here will remember discussions on the
notion of carrier of record with eye-watering nostalgia)

[RS> ] <sigh> I wouldn't call it nostalgia,  more a review of the battle
scars and the cumulative effects of cranial concussion.

Philippe Fouquart
Orange Labs Networks
+33 (0) 1 45 29 58 13