Re: [stir] Not just "called party" - Re: current draft charter

Dan York <york@isoc.org> Mon, 17 June 2013 20:30 UTC

From: Dan York <york@isoc.org>
To: Hadriel Kaplan <hadriel.kaplan@oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 20:30:29 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.255.101.4]
x-forefront-antispam-report: SFV:SKI; SFS:; DIR:OUT; SFP:; SCL:-1; SRVR:BN1PR06MB069; H:BN1PR06MB072.namprd06.prod.outlook.com; LANG:en;
Cc: "stir@ietf.org" <stir@ietf.org>, Michael Hammer <michael.hammer@yaanatech.com>, "dcrocker@bbiw.net" <dcrocker@bbiw.net>, "jon.peterson@neustar.biz" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>, "hgs@cs.columbia.edu" <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
Subject: Re: [stir] Not just "called party" - Re: current draft charter

Hadriel,

On 6/17/13 3:04 PM, "Hadriel Kaplan" <hadriel.kaplan@oracle.com> wrote:

>For sake of focus and having a prayer of getting this done before we all
>retire,

Ack!  We need something deployable - and sooner rather than later.  I
definitely agree with that.

>I think we should focus exclusively on caller-id reputability.  No bank
>would ever trust this type of thing for called-party identity anyway,
>because it only identifies phone numbers not humans - i.e., at best it
>identifies a phone, not the person on the other end.  Thus they'll have
>to ask you a bunch of identifying questions anyway.

Yes, using a bank as an example was a poor choice on my part because they
do have many other processes for identifying the person they are calling.

In this era of call automation, though, being able to have better
confidence in the identifier of the number being called would be
advantageous and could feed application calling logic.  If an outbound
application called a number and received as the secure identifier the
number/identifier it had on file, the application could deliver whatever
message it had.  If there was a mismatch, the app could deliver a
different message ("please call us back") or transfer the call to a
waiting agent to perform an additional identification test of the person
being called.

I agree that for the sake of getting a secure identifier out we should
focus on the called party identifying the caller, but as we look at
architectural choices it would be good if whatever we choose does not rule
out the usage by the calling party.

Dan