Re: [stir] SIPCoin - a new cryptocurrency for stopping robocalls

Cullen Jennings <fluffy@iii.ca> Thu, 08 March 2018 12:41 UTC

From: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@iii.ca>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2018 05:41:01 -0700
Cc: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@jdrosen.net>, stir@ietf.org
To: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
Subject: Re: [stir] SIPCoin - a new cryptocurrency for stopping robocalls

So as a super casual analysis of the current draft,

Lets say we need order of magnitude 10 cents to stop spam, that equates to something like 1KW, which equates to something like 1Kg of CO2. Each of of those steps is only an order go magnitude estimate so this cab be way out but you get the idea. So we would have a one time, assuming major carriers shared validation data,  ( or small number of times ) validation of the self signed cert and each validation would take about 1 Kg CO2. That sounds really bad. But for comparisons sake, your flight to IETF is probably over 1000 Kg and it is not a one time event

But all that said, I don’t think we would actually go for with something as simple as pure proof of work based approach so I don’t think that is a realistic look at the power usage. There are a bunch of techniques that add to the complexity but greatly reduce the reliance on proof work and more move to things like proof of stake or more risk based approaches. Solutions like that could greatly reduce the power usage. Keep in mind reducing the amount of spam calls would reduce the power usage of the whole phone system.