Re: [stir] a syntax change

"Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz> Thu, 14 July 2016 21:24 UTC

From: "Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>
To: Chris Wendt <chris-ietf@chriswendt.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 21:24:16 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.96.12.50]
Cc: IETF STIR Mail List <stir@ietf.org>, Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>
Subject: Re: [stir] a syntax change

Well, many of the same B2BUAs that today alter the Date header surely strip the Identity header as well, as they strip virtually any header that is not specifically authorized. There is a certain amount we can and should do to accommodate such devices, but its a two-way street - reconfiguring such devices to accept Identity while still munging Date might be counterproductive.

That much said, yes, rfc4474bis-10 certainly allows sending "canon" without first receiving a 438. Maybe the answer is a deployment profile, as you suggest, for environments where it is known to be a problem. If that turns out to be "all meaningful environments" well... then in time we migrate the base standard in that direction. The point is, if it turned out that we always needed "canon," then we should design the header in such a way that "canon" isn't even a parameter, and just carry the raw PASSporT object. We should avoid options where we don't think they're useful, especially when it comes to security mechanisms. But until we're sure it isn't useful, I think the guidance we have now is what we should stick with.

Jon Peterson
Neustar, Inc.