Re: [stir] Third WGLC: draft-ietf-stir-passport-rcd-12

Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com> Mon, 13 September 2021 18:53 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 13:52:58 -0500
Cc: Jon Peterson <jon.peterson@team.neustar>, IETF STIR Mail List <stir@ietf.org>
To: Chris Wendt <chris-ietf@chriswendt.net>
Subject: Re: [stir] Third WGLC: draft-ietf-stir-passport-rcd-12

> On Sep 13, 2021, at 1:47 PM, Chris Wendt <chris-ietf@chriswendt.net> wrote:
>
> inline

>>> RFC8225 does have the rule that you can ignore claims you don’t understand, and i think for ’shaken’ specifically, we don’t have a PASSporT extension type that includes both ’shaken’ claims and ‘rcd’ claims, even though people have talked about putting both in a single PASSporT, so i think we are ok.  I just feel uncomfortable trying to “cross the streams” and cover other extension types in this spec. Would we expect all future specs to cover every combination of claims/extension types?  I still think that is left for IPNNI type specs to define more specific usage.
>>>
>>> Put more simply, this spec is about “rcd” PASSporT rules, using “rcd” claims in another PASSporT type is not in scope for this spec.
>>>

>> Unless I misunderstand what people have in mind, the use case doesn’t involve mixing rcd and shaken claims in a single PPT. To be more precise:
>>
>> 1. Caller AS signs an passport with a delegate cert. with “ppt” : “rcd”. It includes an RCD claim with external references, and therefore an “rcdi” claim.
>> 2. OSP VS verifies the RCD passport and checks that the “orig” claim is encompassed by the cert's TnAuthList. It wants to ignore the RCD claims because it doesn’t care about them, but IIUC it cannot ignore them because of the “rcd” value in “ppt”.
>> 3. OSP AS inserts a SHAKEN passport, with an attestation level (hopefully A), based on the results of step 2.
>> 4. OSP forwards the INVITE with both the SHAKEN and RCD passport.
>>
>> The way I understand things, step 2 will require verification of the rcdi claim, and therefore downloading of the external content. Am I missing something?
>>
>> I think this means the caller is using the same passport for two purposes (authentication, RCD assertion) with two separate relying parties (OSP, TSP or recipient), Is this an invalid approach? I’m willing to accept that one should not do this, but I think it will surprise some consumers of the spec. I recognize this is not the only approach people are thinking about (e.g. the OSP might verify the RCD claims and insert them into its SHAKEN ppt.)
>
> Ok, that clarifies the use-case, but i think i still would like to stay a level higher. Focus on the security (and integrity) and not give excuses for half-steps or “optimizations”.  If the “identity” includes RCD information with integrity turned on encoded in a PASSporT, you should have to decode the entire PASSporT to achieve pass/fail. Otherwise, we get into some thorny scenarios, IMHO.
> [...]

Just to be clear, I agree we should stay at a higher level in the spec. I think from a higher level, the rules that would allow the use case I mentioned would be to say something like the VS MUST verify the signature and that any JWT Claim Constraints are satisfied, and MUST NOT rely on integrity-protected RCD claims without verifying the rcdi claim.

I’m perfectly okay if the answer is still “verify everything or rely on nothing”; I’m just probing to make sure we have considered how this will be used in practice.

Thanks!

Ben.