Re: [stir] current draft charter - ENUM and databases

"Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz> Tue, 18 June 2013 00:47 UTC

From: "Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>
To: Hadriel Kaplan <hadriel.kaplan@oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 00:47:17 +0000
x-originating-ip: [192.168.128.73]
x-ems-proccessed: R64IxjzeHPwwd+efoj3ZcA==
x-ems-stamp: FXVsjxwlzXROaw1lsXAa9Q==
Cc: "stir@ietf.org" <stir@ietf.org>, Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
Subject: Re: [stir] current draft charter - ENUM and databases

Definitely I agree that there needs to be a root here, at least at the
national level. A few people have commented that working from the national
level makes more sense than trying to delegate something globally from on
high. Choosing that scope could make it harder to guarantee your vision of
a tariff-free identity, admittedly. I've name-dropped LoST a couple times
here as a place to look for inspiration, perhaps.

But at the end of the day I was also envisioning that this revisited
identity system would still work for regular domain names per RFC4474, and
that we'd probably even keep CID as an option for Identity-Info (or its
successor). So I was anticipating there'd be diversity in the means by
which credentials could be indicated by Identity-Info, and that having a
"root" wouldn't be exclusive in that there are identifiers other than
telephone numbers in the system too.

So again, to the question of how golden the root is, I at least pictured a
national-level root for telephone number identity that would, if at all
possible, eliminate the problem of multiple trust anchors issuing
credentials for the same identity. Just like the same cert could be
included by CID or referred to by HTTP, though, I imagine there could be
more than one protocol for getting at those credentials.

As for whether or not we need NPAC-style databases - agreed that here we
don't need most of the data that's in them (like, LRNs aren't obviously
material to solving our problem), but the authority structures they
reflect are absolutely integral to this. Ultimately, STIR proposes only to
project onto the Internet the authority over numbers that is today
administered in those databases.

I'd hesitate to start talking about delivering CNAM via STIR lest we get
into some serious mission creep. But perhaps more materially, a root which
is completely public can begin to have privacy implications when we start
looking at adding in more personally identifiable information to the
system.

Jon Peterson
Neustar, Inc.