Re: [stir] current draft charter

"Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz> Sun, 16 June 2013 22:32 UTC

From: "Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>
To: Hadriel Kaplan <hadriel.kaplan@oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 22:31:58 +0000
x-originating-ip: [192.168.128.73]
x-ems-proccessed: R64IxjzeHPwwd+efoj3ZcA==
x-ems-stamp: dyyp4h15C7EmbiZBGGgFug==
Cc: "stir@ietf.org" <stir@ietf.org>, Dave Crocker <dcrocker@bbiw.net>, Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>
Subject: Re: [stir] current draft charter

No, I didn't mean return routability as a real-time check during call
processing a la Jabber, I meant some system of proving possession of a
number as a means of enrolling into the PKI (or whatever other key
management system there may be). ViPR's technique is one example; other
examples would be things like sending an SMS to a smartphone with a link
you could click to prove possession. In the email world, you might compare
this to S/MIME credentials you receive in return for proving you control
an email address. I don't think we need to prescribe what the possible set
of enrollment mechanisms are here, just to say that there exist
alternative ways to enroll other than top-down delegation. And I don't
mean to suggest that credentials secured for this purpose would only be
useful in the out-of-band solution, either.

Just to second Henning here, faking the calling party number is a very
different matter than forcing calls for a number to be routed to a
different endpoint. Subverting VIPR required doing the latter, not the
former. This is the difference between arbitrarily populating the From
header field of SIP with "sip:jon@example.com" to pretend to be me, and
then then making it so when someone else sends a request to
sip:jon@example.com it ends up ringing your phone. One is trivial, the
other not so much. Now that much said, there were lots of lingering
question in VIPR about what happens when you're not directly connected to
the PSTN, due to SIP trunking or what have you, and how VIPR endpoints can
be assured that PSTN routing was actually invoked. This is something we'll
need to be mindful of.

Jon Peterson
Neustar, Inc.