Re: [stir] current draft charter - ENUM and databases

Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu> Mon, 17 June 2013 12:03 UTC

From: Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 08:03:06 -0400
To: "Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>
Cc: "stir@ietf.org" <stir@ietf.org>, Hadriel Kaplan <hadriel.kaplan@oracle.com>
Subject: Re: [stir] current draft charter - ENUM and databases

It might be helpful to explicitly distinguish three models, independent of whether the cert is stored in DNS or some HTTP-accessed data store:

(1) Single CA per country code (CC); no chaining. All delegations and multiple-use are explicitly generated by the CC CA, based on requests by the primary holder of the number.

(2) Single CA per country code, but with chaining.

(3) Lots of CAs per country code, e.g., for proof-of-possession systems. (Example: Existing webCAs get into the E.164 validation business.)

I think we've been commingling the three in discussion, making the trade-offs harder to identify.

On #2 below (expiration), I'm not sure that it matters whether the entry is stored in DNS or data store. With DNS and HTTP, you have to deal with caching just the same.

Also, for DNS, it would be helpful to be specific whether this is run by one entity or, if not, how entries are doled out, given the lack of natural hierarchy.