Re: [storm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-storm-rdmap-ext-01.txt

Tom Talpey <ttalpey@microsoft.com> Tue, 13 September 2011 12:19 UTC

From: Tom Talpey <ttalpey@microsoft.com>
To: "david.black@emc.com" <david.black@emc.com>, "storm@ietf.org" <storm@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 12:21:46 +0000
x-originating-ip: [157.54.51.33]
Subject: Re: [storm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-storm-rdmap-ext-01.txt

Actually, this question goes deeper - alignment requirements such as this are actually on the *application*. Are we requiring that they align their atomics? Is 64-bits always enough to ensure correctness? Also remember the peer performs no processing, it simply issues an operation to an application-provided value (the atomic's RDMA triplet).

Normally such a requirement would be specified in the Verbs. Since local behavior is not in scope here, perhaps the document should make no requirement at all, and simply give some advice. The mechanism to avoid it is necessarily at the upper layer.

Tom.