Re: [storm] SPC-2 reserve/release text - version 7 (final, I hope)

"Black, David" <david.black@emc.com> Fri, 28 September 2012 23:49 UTC

From: "Black, David" <david.black@emc.com>
To: "'cbm@chadalapaka.com'" <cbm@chadalapaka.com>, "'storm@ietf.org'" <storm@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 19:49:17 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [storm] SPC-2 reserve/release text - version 7 (final, I hope)

Both changes are fine with me.

Thanks, --David +++Sent from Blackberry

----- Original Message -----
From: Mallikarjun Chadalapaka [mailto:cbm@chadalapaka.com]
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2012 07:23 PM
To: Black, David; storm@ietf.org <storm@ietf.org>

Hi David,

Thanks for diligently driving these text updates . Sorry, but I think we still need a couple of tweaks:

Thinking more about it, I don't think iSCSI protocol spec can place a normative requirement on the overall solution outside of iSCSI. IOW, an iSCSI protocol compliance test cannot really test a "SHOULD NOT" on a SCSI feature usage (or lack thereof). So IMO, this should be a lower-case.

 Change:
 Reserve/release reservations are obsolete [SPC3] and SHOULD NOT be used

To:
  Reserve/release reservations are obsolete [SPC3] and should not be used

And one editorial (because connection failure isn't the only reason for a session failure; "target retention" can be phrased better):

Change:
- When connection failure causes the iSCSI session to fail, and
      the session is not reinstated or continued, target retention
      of that session's reserve/release reservation state may
      require an initiator to issue a reset (e.g., LOGICAL UNIT RESET,
      see section 11.5) in order to remove that reservation state.

To:
  - Retention of a failed session's reserve/release reservation state by an iSCSI target,
     even after that failed iSCSI session is not reinstated or continued, may
      require an initiator to issue a reset (e.g., LOGICAL UNIT RESET,
      see section 11.5) in order to remove that reservation state.

Thanks.

Mallikarjun