Re: [storm] iSCSI version descriptors

"David Harrington" <ietfdbh@comcast.net> Wed, 08 December 2010 15:00 UTC

From: David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
To: david.black@emc.com, paul_koning@Dell.com
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 10:00:49 -0500
Cc: storm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [storm] iSCSI version descriptors

Hi,

Jumping in late ...

I think compliance requirements are key here.
If you can be "compliant to version 1" if you implement mandatory
feature X AND if you do NOT implement mandatory feature X, then you
don't have a very good compliance requirement.
The purpose of a version # is to help identify the set of features
that can be expected to be supported by OTHER implementations, to
ensure interoperability.
(obviously, if the feature was originally, and continues to be,
protocol-negotiable that's not a problem within a version#)

I think it could be a poor engineering choice to have version 1 refer
to multiple different possible sets of features. I disagree that "Yes,
using the same version should be a goal", if the set of features one
implementation can expect of another implementation changes;
interoperability should be the goal. You can ignore my engineering
advice (I assume the WG knows the technology better than me). But I
would appreciate being educated why this is OK.

Interoperability is considered during IESG Evaluation
http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html. If I
question the interoperability of using the same version #, others in
the IESG also might question this. So you should ***document in each
draft*** why using the same version # to identify the changes proposed
in that draft is OK technically from an interoperability standpoint.

(p.s. "we've already implemented it that way from the draft" is NOT an
argument that holds much weight with the IESG).

David Harrington
Director, IETF Transport Area
ietfdbh@comcast.net (preferred for ietf)
dbharrington@huaweisymantec.com