Re: [storm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-storm-iscsi-cons-08.txt

Mallikarjun Chadalapaka <cbm@chadalapaka.com> Thu, 17 January 2013 21:05 UTC

From: Mallikarjun Chadalapaka <cbm@chadalapaka.com>
To: "storm@ietf.org" <storm@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 21:05:29 +0000
x-originating-ip: [131.107.174.24]
Subject: Re: [storm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-storm-iscsi-cons-08.txt

All:

The changes in this version of the draft are the following, almost all to address IESG Last Call comments:

* Dropped the "MUST NOT" requirement on punctuation/diacritical characters in iSCSI Names (avoiding these is still a "should avoid" and highly recommended, we simply dropped the "MUST NOT" because it is not enforceable per se)
* Cleaned up some redundant text regarding PDU lay-outs etc.
* Added a formal definition of "Response Fence" pointing to pre-existing normative requirements
* Added a handful of forward references to tie the intro/requirement/example pieces of the same concept together
* Done some Unicode-related terminology clean-up
* Added additional security considerations guidance related to CHAP (large randomly generated CHAP secrets), including a forward-looking statement that iSCSI will eventually switch to a stronger authentication mechanism, with some examples cited
* Added some SCSI-level access controls considerations text
* Added new acronyms/definitions in a few places
* Made a handful of editorial rewrites for clarity in a few places

The two known items still pending for a -09 version are:

* Kerberos security considerations text for iSCSI authentication (work in progress)
* Resolution to a few IPSec-related topics (see David's email to the list on January 1, 2013, awaiting WG feedback)

The pdf version of the draft includes change bars for easy comparison.

Let the authors know if you have follow-up questions.

Mallikarjun