Re: [storm] iSCSI and Unicode (newprep BOF)

<Black_David@emc.com> Wed, 24 March 2010 02:59 UTC

Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 22:59:15 -0400
From: Black_David@emc.com
To: Paul_Koning@Dell.com, storm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [storm] iSCSI and Unicode (newprep BOF)

Bad news - we are going to have unavoidable incompatibility problems,
courtesy of domain name changes in how Unicode is handled.  There are
four characters that cause these problems, of which the easiest to
explain is the German eszett or sharp s (looks like a Greek beta
character for those not familiar with German):

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9F

This is often changed to a pair of ordinary s characters (e.g. StraBe
vs. Strasse), but that change is not always correct.  Stringprep mapped
sharp s to ss, but the new 2008 domain name specifications apparently
allow the Unicode character to be used - LATIN SMALL LETTER SHARP S'
(U+00DF).  Any IQN constructed from such a domain name would be
corrupted by stringprep mapping sharp s to ss.

While easiest to explain, this is not the worst problem - the worst
problem involves some non-printing format characters that stringprep
ignores in a fashion that causes serious problems (meaning changes) in
languages such as Persian.

More details on the newprep BOF coming in a later message.

Thanks,
--David

Unicode