Re: [storm] iSCSI consolidated draft: Authentication consistency

"Mallikarjun Chadalapaka" <cbm@chadalapaka.com> Sat, 30 March 2013 02:40 UTC

From: Mallikarjun Chadalapaka <cbm@chadalapaka.com>
To: "'Black, David'" <david.black@emc.com>, 'Julian Satran' <julian@satran.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 19:40:34 -0700
Cc: storm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [storm] iSCSI consolidated draft: Authentication consistency

Hi David, Julian,

FYI, some existing iSCSI implementations allow a shared system-wide (target
or initiator) CHAP secret. This works fine in certain deployment scenarios.
I do not see anything in the suggested text that precludes such
implementations. So I am fine with the current direction.

Here's existing Section 9.2 (In-band Initiator-Target Authentication) text:

For some of the authentication methods, a key specifies the identity of the
iSCSI initiator or target for authentication purposes. The value associated
with that key MAY be different from the iSCSI name and SHOULD be
configurable. (CHAP_N, see Section 12.1.3 and SRP_U, see Section 12.1.2).

Updated text with the summary of this thread:

For some of the authentication methods, a key specifies the identity of the
iSCSI initiator or target for authentication purposes. The value associated
with that key MAY be different from the iSCSI Name and SHOULD be
configurable. (CHAP_N, see Section 12.1.3 and SRP_U, see Section 12.1.2).
For this reason, iSCSI implementations SHOULD manage authentication in a way
that impersonation across iSCSI Names is not possible. Specifically,
implementations SHOULD allow configuration of an authentication identity for
a Name if different, and authentication credentials for that identity.
During the login time, implementations SHOULD verify the Name-to-identity
relationship in addition to authenticating the identity through the
negotiated authentication method.

Thanks.

Mallikarjun