Re: [storm] iSCSI version descriptors

<david.black@emc.com> Tue, 08 March 2011 16:21 UTC

From: david.black@emc.com
To: cbm@chadalapaka.com, storm@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 11:22:05 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [storm] iSCSI version descriptors

Mallikarjun,

While I think your option 1) is ok:

> 1) When a feature is completely obsoleted (e.g. markers) relative to 3720,
> iSCSI consolidated spec requires that the corresponding keys be negotiated
> to "No" (e.g. OFMarker=No).

My design preference is to recommend (SHOULD) a "Reject" value response, which is allowed by RFC 3720 and has the additional virtue of carrying a "What on earth do you think you're doing?" implication back to the clue-impaired implementation that tried to use the obsolete feature.  In any case, we're in clear agreement that a "NotUnderstood" response has to be prohibited.

> 2) When a feature *option* is obsoleted (e.g. SPKM1 & SPKM2 for AuthMethod),
> the spec does nothing special.    The existing iSCSI negotiation semantics
> are comprehensive enough that two spec-compliant implementations will
> negotiate to the correct result because the obsoleted options for that
> feature are not offered as negotiables.

That covers half the cases - new initiator with new or old responder.  With an old initiator, it is possible that obsolete options are offered.  If obsolete options are offered in combination with one or more supported options, everything should work fine.  If obsolete options are the only ones offered, "Reject" is an appropriate response.

Thanks,
--David