Re: [storm] iSER draft

Tom Talpey <ttalpey@microsoft.com> Wed, 13 July 2011 15:12 UTC

From: Tom Talpey <ttalpey@microsoft.com>
To: Alexander Nezhinsky <nezhinsky@gmail.com>, Michael Ko <Michael@huaweisymantec.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 15:12:56 +0000
x-originating-ip: [157.54.51.33]
Cc: "storm@ietf.org" <storm@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [storm] iSER draft

Yes, understood on the ZBVA/Infiniband issue. Regarding the VA term’s presence in an earlier draft, I did not see it in RFC5046 and I did not review the expired draft, so consider these comments to be on the overall change, not the last revision.

Let me try a different approach to perhaps make myself clearer.

First, it seems to me that a “virtual address” has no real meaning to the network protocol. It begins, perhaps, as some value in an address space on the initiator, but it’s not meaningful on the target in this way, it’s only used to request that the remote RNIC perform a transfer to that originally registered remote address. So calling it a Virtual Address as an iSER protocol object seems, to me, an artificial and somewhat leading convention.

Second, the Virtual Address goes out from the initiator to the target in a Control PDU, but where does it come back? The RDMA Read or Write as depicted in (xx) shows only a Tagged Offset. So, it’s not clear what its protocol meaning is.

Third, I don’t ever see a Tagged Buffer described by a fully qualified four-tuple. I see it appearing as either { Stag, TO, length } or { Stag, VA, length }, depending on the addressing mode.

I think the non-ZBVA mode is really just a special case of the existing one, but where the meaning of TO has changed from a small offset to some other token, generated and managed only at the initiator. So, it seems artificial to define it as distinct, and document it as possessing some new properties. Isn’t it just a Target Offset, still?

Tom.