Re: [storm] iSCSI SAM update: login key

"David Harrington" <ietfdbh@comcast.net> Sun, 11 April 2010 14:52 UTC

From: David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
To: storm@ietf.org
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 10:52:37 -0400
Subject: Re: [storm] iSCSI SAM update: login key

<as individual contributor>

Level seems to imply that anything earlier is supported, so (using
rfc#s as levels for my example):
if there existed (independent) features in rfc 7501, 7522, and 7599,
then level=rfc7599 would imply that 7501 and 7522 MUST be supported as
well?
And nothing could ever be not-backwards-compatible.
Maybe that is what the WG wants.

I wonder if it might be more flexible to define an approach, such as
bits in a bit string, so different combinations could be supported:
	bit 1: 7501
	bit 2: 7522
	bit 3: 7599

so an implementation could support, for example, rfcs 7501 and 7599
but not 7522.
Many IETF protocols allow for this type of RFC mix-and-match
compliance flexibility.

Or does the WG consider this flexibility undesirable?

dbh