Re: [storm] Plan for iSCSI work

"Hemal Shah" <hemal@broadcom.com> Tue, 28 June 2011 18:34 UTC

From: Hemal Shah <hemal@broadcom.com>
To: Mallikarjun Chadalapaka <cbm@chadalapaka.com>, "david.black@emc.com" <david.black@emc.com>, "storm@ietf.org" <storm@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:32:39 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [storm] Plan for iSCSI work

Thanks Mallikarjun! I would still like to confirm my understanding of what you describe as "MUST implement, but MUST negotiate".

Here is my understanding:

1.      The implementation of TaskReporting is required and NotUnderstood response for TaskReporting key is not permitted based on the following text from RFC5048 and Section 6.2 of the consolidated draft:
                All keys defined in [RFC3720] MUST be supported by all
            compliant implementations; a NotUnderstood answer on any of the
            [RFC3720] keys therefore MUST be considered a protocol error and
            handled accordingly.
2.      To enable FastAbort on a session, the negotiation of TaskReporting key is required.
3.      Only when the TaskReporting=FastAbort functionality is supported, the protocol behavior specified in Section 4.2.3.4 is required to be implemented and exhibited. There are several places in the spec that indicate this type of conditionality.
a.      Section 4.2.3.5: If an iSCSI target implementation is capable of supporting
TaskReporting=FastAbort functionality (Section 13.23)...
b.      Section 4.2.2.3.3: Whenever the TaskReporting key (Section 12.23 "Task Reporting") is negotiated to ResponseFence or FastAbort for an iSCSI session...
c.      Section 4.2.2.3.4: Whenever the TaskReporting key (Section 13.23) is negotiated to ResponseFence or FastAbort for an iSCSI session...
4.      If TaskReporting=FastAbort functionality is not supported, then the protocol behavior specified in Section 4.2.3.4 is not required to be implemented or exhibited. If this is true, then the first sentence in section 4.2.3.4 is misleading and should be removed or prefixed with some text like "Only when the TaskReporting=FastAbort functionality is supported..".

Hemal