Re: [storm] Combined iSCSI draft - Proposed Standard, not Draft Standard

Paul Koning <paul_koning@dell.com> Tue, 15 March 2011 01:13 UTC

From: Paul Koning <paul_koning@dell.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 21:15:02 -0400
To: david.black@emc.com
Cc: storm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [storm] Combined iSCSI draft - Proposed Standard, not Draft Standard

I guess I may need to read up on the formal requirements.  Clearly there is a large body of experience with interoperability of iSCSI implementations.  So it can't be the case that the maturity isn't there; if paper has to be pushed, perhaps contractors could be funded by interested parties to make that happen.

I'm concerned about the message implicit in not advancing the level.  If we send out STORM with the same "draft standard" status as the original RFC 3720, that sounds like we're telling the world that there has been no significant increase in standards maturity in the past 7 years.  I can't believe that this is the sort of message we would send out lightly.

	paul