Re: [storm] iSCSI Level and Version

"Knight, Frederick" <Frederick.Knight@netapp.com> Wed, 17 August 2011 05:13 UTC

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 01:13:45 -0400
From: "Knight, Frederick" <Frederick.Knight@netapp.com>
To: Mallikarjun Chadalapaka <cbm@chadalapaka.com>, storm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [storm] iSCSI Level and Version

The new SAM features draft changes the format of some PDUs.

The current Version-max/min/active are fields within a PDU.

The iSCSIProtocolLevel tells the end points which format to use for the
PDUs, so the end point can find the fields within the PDU.  This lets us
have different format PDUs AFTER the negotiation of this key.  The
creation of the iSCSIProtocolLevel key allows us to write future drafts
that make changes more radical than what the new SAM features draft
contains.

You need to know the iSCSIProtocolLevel to know which PDU format to use.
So this makes me wonder, if we should move the negotiation of
iSCSIProtocolLevel from the full feature phase to the login phase
(should the negotiation of iSCSIProtocolLevel come earlier)?  Might we
ever want to change the format of any of the PDUs used during login?

	Fred