[storm] iSCSI Node Name for SCSI (composite) Device

Mallikarjun Chadalapaka <cbm@chadalapaka.com> Fri, 09 September 2011 01:38 UTC

From: Mallikarjun Chadalapaka <cbm@chadalapaka.com>
To: <storm@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 18:40:40 -0700
Subject: [storm] iSCSI Node Name for SCSI (composite) Device

In reviewing some editorial feedback received offline, we have identified a
potential misalignment between SAM-5 and iSCSI.  And it turns out we can
address it with a simple requirement, which the drafts' authors wanted to
surface to the list.

SAM-5 models SCSI Device Name as an attribute of a SCSI Device class, even
if the SCSI Device is a composite device containing a SCSI Initiator Device
and a SCSI Target Device.   iSCSI in contrast models an iSCSI Initiator Name
as an attribute of iSCSI Initiator Node, and models iSCSI Target Name as
that for iSCSI Target Node.  As the new consolidated draft now explicitly
allows iSCSI Nodes to be SCSI composite Devices, we just need to make sure
that a SCSI (composite) Device in iSCSI transport domain would only have one
SCSI Device Name.

This can be accomplished by adding the following requirement to the
consolidated draft: whenever an iSCSI Node contains an iSCSI Initiator Node
and an iSCSI Target Node, the iSCSI Initiator Name MUST be the same as the
iSCSI Target Name for the contained Nodes such that there is only one iSCSI
Node Name for the iSCSI Node overall.

Please let the list know if you have concerns, or questions about this
approach.  Assuming WG consensus on this, we plan to get this - and any
related text updates in both drafts - into the next revisions at the end of
the Last Call.

Thanks.

Mallikarjun (for all the authors)