Re: [storm] SCSI Version Descriptors - iSCSI and SAM-5

"Knight, Frederick" <Frederick.Knight@netapp.com> Tue, 02 March 2010 18:20 UTC

Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 13:20:01 -0500
From: "Knight, Frederick" <Frederick.Knight@netapp.com>
To: Black_David@emc.com, storm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [storm] SCSI Version Descriptors - iSCSI and SAM-5

I agree, we need to request a frozen SAM-5 version descriptor, and see what they say.

I'm reluctant to create a new descriptor to indicate compliance with something old (3720+5048).

All those existing implementations that support 3720+5048 will NOT have that descriptor.  What is an initiator to think?  How will the initiator tell an old compliant device that supports 3720+5048 with no descriptor from the new compliant device that supports 3720+5048 but has the descriptor?  My fear is a host that assumes that if the 3720+5048 descriptor you propose is NOT present, then the device must NOT be 3720+5048 compliant.

I'm reluctant to punish existing compliant devices by creating a descriptor that they will not report.  The horse is already out of the barn, what good will it do to post a "please close the door" sign?

We should however, request that T10 create a descriptor that indicates compliance with the new SAM features draft (which therefore means 3720+5048+xxx; where xxx=the new SAM features RFC).  If the device doesn't report this new descriptor, then you must use iSCSI mechanisms to determine if the device is 3720 only, or 3720+5048.

	Fred Knight